Thursday, July 20, 2006
Faux Book Cards
I was browsing through a magazine the other day and read how some craftinas are decorating those marbled notebooks you can get in the school supply section. I thought, Wouldn't it be cool to make some cards that look like the front of these books? This is what I came up with.
How To Make Faux Book Cards--Easy!
A half sheet of 8.5 by 11 inch cardstock
A half sheet of 8.5 by 11 paper
Decorative paper for the spine and cover decorations
Any other ephemera you want to put on the front of your card
Scoring tool, scissors, stapler, glue stick and other art tools
Now do it:
1) Fold the cardstock and the paper in half, short ends together.
2) Tuck the paper inside the cardstock. Staple along the outside, near the fold. Now you have a little "book."
3) Cut a strip of decorative paper 1.5 to 2 inches wide by 5.5 inches tall. Fold in half, long sides together (see photo). This will be the spine of your book card. Wrap it around the stapled edge of the card and glue it down on both sides. It will hide the staples.
4) Score the front of the card along the outside edge of the spine, so when you open the card, it folds along the fake spine.
5) Decorate the front of your card any way you like, book-style. The photo above can give you some ideas. I put labels on some and a tiny pocket with a tag on another.
6) Don't forget to write in your "book" and then send it to someone you love!