Saturday, November 04, 2006

Dia de los Muertos


From my carved archives: Instead of Halloween, I like to remember Dia de los Muertos, or All Saints Day, typically celebrated in my native Mexico on November 1. Here is a card I created in 1997 to observe the day. All the images are printed from handcarved stamps I designed, with the exception of the dotted background you can see faintly behind the skulls. The skulls themselves represent the sugar skulls made in Mexico to commemorate the dead; they are made of white sugar and decorated in many colors with sugar candies in the shapes of flowers, leaves, etc. I added the little guitars to celebrate the music sung on those days. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like the skulls. They would make really cool masks. They almost seem like they want to start animating themselves.

Related Posts with Thumbnails