Wednesday, February 21, 2007

From the Archives: Geisha Line Art Carving


From the archives: Here is a carving I made several years ago from a tracing of a Japanese ukiyo-e print. Ukiyo-e, or pictures of the floating world are what we Westerners typically recognize as the "Japanese print." Depicting geishas and other scenes of ancient Japanese life, I appreciate them for their detail, colors and beauty. The "chop" or signature seal in the corner of my artwork above says "ET," my initials. To get the fine lines of this carving, I barely grazed the top of the carving material with a no. 1 linocut blade. I used a small press to print this carving after heavily inking it with dye ink. The press allows me to apply even pressure, ensuring that the whole surface will print. The press has also saved me a lot of back and arm pain from having to press down on the stamp! More soon!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails