Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The pleasure of reading

Rachelle's traveling journal arrived in the latter half of January, and here are the pages I created for her book. Her journal is called "Pleasures" and she asked us to decorate two pages with a personal pleasure. I chose reading, one of my favorite escapes! I featured a quote on each page: "We read to know we are not alone," by C. S. Lewis, and "The habit of reading is the only enjoyment in which there is no alloy; it lasts when all other pleasures fade," by Anthony Trollope.

The backgrounds were created with torn and glued pages from a vintage book which were then dry brushed with metallic purple ink. For the left hand page, I created a "reading" ATC which I then scanned, reduced and made into a sheet of "BookPost" artistamps. For the right hand page, I chose some vintage images from a Dover Publications clip art book on reading and writing. I hand colored these with pencil in tones to complement the purple background. Tiny reproduction reading images, flowers and ribbon trim finished off these collages.

To be safe, I didn't work directly in Rachelle's journal. Instead, I cut cardstock to match her book's page size, worked on that, and then glued it into the book when I was done. Now it's off to the post office to send it to the next artist. Another book should come in the mail to me soon and the process begins anew....More soon!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails