Saturday, April 14, 2007

Gnome Crafts!

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the book Gnomes by Rien Poortvliet, I'm creating some gnome-inspired crafts.

This is my first carving of 2007, Renni the Gnome, presented on an artist trading card. I've stamped him on paper bag paper, added colored pencil details, cut him out, and mounted him to a trading card made from the printed cardboard of a tissue box. I like the hidden, forest-y feel of the background. Gnomes like to stay hidden, after all!

And here is Edmund, a cross-stitched gnome of my own design.

I used Ginnie Thompson Flower Thread to do the embroidery on 14-count Aida fabric. Flower thread has a linen-like, natural feel without the shiny aspect of regular floss. And, you use it single stranded due to its thickness. I love the way it stitches and the folk-art effect it portrays! I've already graphed out a gnome gal to keep Edmund company. I'll start stitching her soon.

I've got some more gnomish ideas cooking, including a stitchery and a mini-quilt. I'll keep you posted, so check back for more art soon!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails