Monday, July 02, 2007

Lucky Cat Crafts



I carved a Maneki Neko eraser stamp several weeks ago, and finally had a chance to play with it this past weekend. These two ATCs and a "pin plushie" are the result.

To make the pin, I stamped the image onto tight-weave muslin fabric with a permanent black ink (like "Memories" brand). I then colored the image with markers. I created a small plushie by sewing the stamped muslin to a backing fabric and stuffing it. To seal the raw edges of the fabric, I used acrylic paint on the front and back. I added beads, a charm and a pin back to complete it.

Maneki Neko is also known as the lucky cat or beckoning cat. My friend Joanne gave me a large Maneki Neko bank when I graduated from college many years ago. I still have it in my kitchen, where it surveys its domain from on top of the fridge. I don't know if it's brought me luck, but it always brings a smile when I look at it! More art soon . . .

1 comment:

Heather Robinson said...

What an engaging cat..definitely beckoning. He just pops off each of these pieces....wonderful work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails