Sunday, July 06, 2008

Inspiration Cabinet

This is my new "inspiration cabinet," only 17 inches tall and a bargain on eBay. It's living next to my Mac so I can be inspired as I write and search online.

I got the idea for the cabinet from the blog Homespun Living, where the author is using a similar cabinet to house nature items. Thank you, Homespun!

The plan for my cabinet is to keep books on the lower shelf and to use the upper two shelves as a rotating display of whatever miniature items I find interesting and thought-provoking. Right now to celebrate summer, it's shells and other nature-oriented items.

Here's the current contents of the shelves, from top to bottom:

  • A miniature book on butterflies
  • A four leaf clover in resin
  • Two miniature ceramic flower arrangements from Mexico (less than 1/2 inch tall!)
  • Various seashells and a sand dollar from Australia
  • A postcard with vintage seashell etchings
  • A handcarved tortoise from the Galapagos Islands
  • Two amethyst crystals
  • A black rock
  • Two shell cut-outs
  • A tiny blue and white ceramic doll plate (about the size of a small button)
  • Two blue dyed feathers in a tiny glass cup my grandfather used to hold glue for bookbinding
  • An oyster shell
  • Another gray shell from Australia
  • Various assorted books on art, nature, a tiny pop-up book and a mini book of Tolkien's poems

I've always loved miniatures. As a child, I remember having a small check register box full of little toys from gumball machines and other places. It's always amazing to me how small things can be made!

One of my current reads is this magazine, Artful Blogging. I've seen this journal on the newsstand for several months but didn't buy a copy before now (probably because of the price, $14.95). I'm enjoying reading about other "arts and crafts" bloggers, their art, and their homes. The photography in this journal is lovely, too, and makes for lots of inspiration. Art blogging is bringing lots of folks together who might not have other artists to commiserate with. In the right column, you'll see a list of blogs I've been enjoying over the months. I have them divided into two lists: art inspiration-type blogs and homekeeping (decor, living, etc.) blogs. I never have enough time to do some of the lovely things some of these ladies are doing, but I can dream! More art soon!

2 comments:

Holly said...

I love the idea! Too bad I don't have any room... yours looks so cute though!

homespun living said...

Thank you Else, for the kind mention! I love your little cabinet and its cute doorknob.
Deb

Related Posts with Thumbnails