Sunday, August 24, 2008

Lovely times at Stitches Midwest

This weekend's fun was Stitches Midwest. It's an annual knitting convention/ school/yarn touch-fest that runs for four or so days where you can knit, learn about knitting, shop for knitting stuff, etc. My aunt and I went one day only to, of course, SHOP and look at all the latest cool knitted fashions, patterns, and YARN! The picture above shows the yarn I purchased and just finished winding--an assortment of alpaca, wool, and silk. So yummy!

What are my plans for these delicious yarns? Well, clockwise from upper left: the two orange yarn "cakes" are going to be turned into knitted pumpkins (from a free pattern), the blue yarn (won as a door prize!) is going to be knitted into a simple shawlette, the two grayish tan alpaca yarn balls are going to become a cuddly bear, and the large white cake (which is part silk and of different thickness and texture throughout) will hopefully become a lovely scarf!

There were other goodies, too. Several button and ribbon booths, books galore, neat new sock yarns (pictured above), and a tiny pet llama I couldn't pass up. I favor alpaca and llama yarn. It's so soft and smells so good.

I also collected wonderful printed materials, like free patterns, yarn catalogs, and these magazines and books (above). The Knitted Farmyard is wonderful--full of tiny farm animals, a farming family, houses and barns, and even a field and garden--all knitted! Can't wait to make these precious toys. The two issues of Wild Fibers magazine will be neat to look at and read. They are full of stories and intriguing pictures of sheep, alpacas, llamas, and all those creatures God has tasked to give us wonderful fibers.

Finally, I got my chance to try spinning yarn. I've always been attracted to spinning (probably from the fairy stories my mom used to read to me). I tried spinning just using a drop spindle (very difficult!) and then tried spinning on a spinning wheel (not the classical one wheel image, but a more modern contraption with foot pedals). I could really get into that! It was a neat experience to feed in the wool roving and see yarn emerge, and the pedaling and wheel clicking could be a VERY relaxing experience. I want to learn more, so I'm going to look for a class near my home.

1 comment:

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Sounds and looks like you had a great time at Stitches West. This is my first visit to your blog. You have a really nice blog. I shall return.

Related Posts with Thumbnails