Happy Fall! To celebrate, I've created a special little pumpkin friend called Chunky Punky. He's made of chunky yarn and he's a wee punkin'! His face was inspired by a pumpkin image I saw in some folkart. He's easy and fun, so make lots. FREE pattern below!
Approximate finished size:
2 ½ inches by 2 ½ inches, depending on yarn and tension used
Chunky or bulky weight orange yarn
Worsted weight green yarn
Sizes H and E crochet hooks
Two 6mm safety eyes
Scraps of white and black felt
Sc – single crochet
Sl st – slip stitch
Inc – increase
Dec – decrease
Using E hook and green yarn
1. Chain 18
2. In second stitch from hook, sc 3, then sc 3 in next eight chains. Crochet will curl.
3. Sl st through remaining chains, break off leaving a 6 inch tail and set aside. This is the stem.
Using H hook and orange yarn
1. Make 6 sc in a magic ring. Or, chain 2 and make 6 sc in second stitch from hook (6)
2. 2 sc in each stitch (12). Place marker to keep track of rounds.
3. (sc, inc) six times (18)
4. (2 sc, inc) six times (24)
5. (3 sc, inc) six times (30)
6-9. 30 sc around. Sew on face and stem. See directions below.
10. (3 sc, dec) six times (24)
11. (2 sc, dec) six times (18). Stuff firmly.
12. (1 sc, dec) six times (12)
13. (dec) six times (6)
14. Bind off by drawing yarn through remaining sts and tie off.
Face and Stem Assembly (make face after round 9, above)
1. Place 6 mm eyes as in photo.
2. Cut out triangle nose from black felt and sew on.
3. Cut out a slightly curved smile out of white felt. Sew on to face.
4. Using black thread or embroidery floss, stitch “teeth” lines onto mouth.
5. Thread stem through top of head from outside and fasten off inside head.
You may make this Punky for personal fun or profit. You may not sell, copy or distribute these instructions in any way. You may link from your blog by linking to www.bellasartes.blogspot.com, NOT by linking to the pattern or post. Thank you for respecting copyright! Copyright 2008, Else M. Tennessen.
More art soon!