Friday, January 16, 2009

Happy 2009!

Humphrey the polar bear greets you from his new home on my friend Renee's desk. I finished him over my holiday vacation as I was sadly behind on my Christmas crafting. He's made from a PlanetJune pattern using Herrschner's acrylic holiday yarn--white with a thin strand of silver sparkle throughout. Humphrey's not too keen on the cold we've been having lately--20 to 40 below zero Fahrenheit (with wind chill) here in the Windy City! Now if he was made of wool, it might be another story...

If you like mushrooms, you can see them anywhere, as evidenced by this one in my front garden.And it's hard to keep warm if you live close to the floor, as Daisy does. I remedied that with a handknitted blanket I made for her several years ago--cozy!

I've added a new set of links at right called "Britishness." I realize I've turned into an Anglophile these past few years so I want to feature some fun links I've found. Persephone Books is exceptional and I recommend them--they reprint books for women, written by women, from the late 1800s to mid-1900s. I especially love this age of writing so I feel lucky that I found them. I've ordered my first volume from them--Miss Buncle's Book--and can't wait to read it.

My latest read is The Gentle Art of Domesticity by Jane Brocket. It's full of all kinds of interesting goodness: baking, knitting, homekeeping, quilts, art, nature, books and more. The photography is superb, and the essays (one to two pages long at most) are entertaining and make you feel as if a best friend is telling you about her day. If you are a "house mouse" like me, you'll enjoy reading all these homey bits. Jane has a lovely website, too.

I decided not to make any new year's resolutions this year. In the past, resolutions have made me feel trapped and the list makes me feel obligated to "achieve" and "meet goals" until I feel like a failure if I don't do them! Instead, I'm going to be more of a day-by-day person, enjoying my crafting and reading as it comes, planning (but not too far ahead) and trusting God more for the outcome, for He does indeed hold us in His Hands, and "all things work together for good for those that love God."

Have a happy new year, and stay tuned for more posts!

1 comment:

Holly said...

That is so cute! Daisy loves her blankie :) Happy New Year Else!

Related Posts with Thumbnails