Saturday, August 28, 2010

Squiddley! FREE Amigurumi Pattern


Inspired by Stitch London, and an indirect hint from my son Alex, I was inspired to try my own hand at a tiny and cute squid. Hence, here is Squiddley. He measures 6 inches from tip to tentacle-toes (his body is only 2 1/2 inches long). He is VERY easy to make and takes approximately 1 hour to craft. Wouldn't he be cute as part of a sea mobile or as a brooch (simply sew a safety pin on the back, fasten him to your sweater or blouse, and wear him to work--the comments will be unending!).

Here is the FREE pattern. Enjoy!

Squiddley the Amigurumi Squid

Supplies you need:
Worsted weight yarn in whatever color you want
Two 9 mm safety eyes
US "F" crochet hook (4 mm)
Stitch marker
Yarn needle
Scissors

Stitches you need to know:
Single crochet (sc)
Increase (inc)
Decrease (dec)
Chain (ch)
Slip stitch (sl st)

Instructions:

BODY
Round 1. Ch 2, 6 sc in second ch from hook, set marker (6)
Round 2. Inc in each sc (12)
Round 3. (sc, inc) six times (18)
Round 4-15. Sc around (18)
Round 16. (sc, dec) six times (12). Sl st in next sc, bind off and weave in end.

EYES
Next, attach the eyes in the position shown in figure.

TENTACLES
1. Make 2 chains four times the length of the body.
2. Make 2 chains six times the length of the body.
3. With a long piece of yarn, tie these all together in the middle, then fold in half.
4. Thread the yarn needle with the yarn you used to tie. Insert the needle up through the middle of the body until it comes out of the top of the head. Pull the tentacle bundle up until it can go no further. Make a few stitches at the top of the head to keep the bundle in place and bind off.

Squiddley is ready to swim! He is partial to azure oceans and enjoys a shrimp treat when they are available. Read to him, because squids, like octopi, are very smart. You'll be BFs 4-ever!

NOTE: This is my own original pattern. Please don't sell or distribute the pattern. If you want to share this pattern, please LINK TO THIS POST. Thanks for respecting copyright!

11 comments:

GillyLilly said...

Love this! I offered to make my kids an 8ft squid pillow, much to their horror - I think this will be much more appreciated!
Thank! G.

Hallie said...

Thankyou SO much for tshaing the pattern! It was just what I needed! I posted my little squids to my blog and a link to yours too!

http://ourbrokenroad.blogspot.com/2010/09/our-little-bits-of-goodness.html

Else M Tennessen said...

Hallie, I went to your link to look at your squiddleys...they are awesome! I'm glad this pattern brought you so much enjoyment. Blessings to you!!

Claribel said...

I make a squiddy for a project for my 9 years old son. He love it!!!
Thanks for the pattern.

Else M Tennessen said...

Claribel, that's great! I'm so glad you made my pattern and that your son enjoys it. Blessings to you. :)

agujashiloscrochet said...

Hi. You can see a picture of Squidd on my blog.

Else M Tennessen said...

Hi,Agujas...! I saw the squid you made for your son. Looks great, and I hope his class enjoyed it too! Blessings to you!

agujashiloscrochet said...

Thanks, Else and welcome to my blog!

Kris said...

I posted a link on Ravelry that directs people to this pattern. I hope that is okay with you. I enjoy posting projects that I make on that site, and this particular pattern wasn't listed yet. I haven't quite finished my Squiddley yet, but I only have a couple of tentacles to go. (Let me know if you want me to remove the link on Ravelry. I probably should have asked first.)

Else M Tennessen said...

Kris, thank you, that's absolutely okay! I am a member of Ravelry and I feel silly now that I didn't post it before. :) Have fun with your Squiddley!

Jackie said...

I'm a beginner and I made this squid last night in about an hour or so. It's so cute! As soon as I showed my daughter she said I need to make another one for my grandson. Thanks for posting the pattern.

Related Posts with Thumbnails