Saturday, July 07, 2012

Etegami


I am re-reading "Gift from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. It's been more than several years since I first picked this book up, enchanted by the quiet reflections on human needs for simplicity, solitude and more. The Etegami above is inspired by the second chapter on the Moon Snail shell. I just happened to have one that I picked up in Charleston, SC when I vacationed there many summers ago. This was my first use of the kit I purchased from Debbie, my teacher, using ink and gansai paints. I will endeavor to make the ink darker next time!

The calm, slow process of making an Etegami is soothing. I was in my quiet art corner, and as I slowly drew the ink line, I could hear the clock ticking, far away, and I could feel my breathing. It was a very interesting sensation! I don't think I had been quiet like that for days. What a blessing!

2 comments:

dosankodebbie said...

The simplicity of the art goes so perfectly with the mood of the accompanying word. You did well to stop short of coloring the whole image. I love it. :)

Else M Tennessen said...

Thank you so much, Debbie!

Related Posts with Thumbnails