Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas in England

I couldn't resist posting something about one of my favorite lands: England. Many of our Christmas traditions come from the U.K. I especially like this video about a country Christmas around the city of Bath.



In the video, the narrator mentions mincemeat pies. Here's a lovely and easy recipe for those. I love how Nigella states that "they are small, to be popped straight into the mouth in one go; the pastry is plain, the better to contrast with the rich, fruited filling; and they have not full casings but little stars as lids, which makes them look beautiful and taste flutteringly light." My mouth is watering, isn't yours? There are many other recipes, too, if you google "mincemeat" pie in any search engine.

The video closes with a beautiful carol called "The Holly and the Ivy." This has always been one of my favorites; the music is exquisite. Here are some of the lyrics:

The holly and the ivy,
When they are both full grown
Of all the trees that are in the wood
The holly bears the crown
O the rising of the sun
And the running of the deer
The playing of the merry organ
Sweet singing of the choir

The holly bears a blossom
As white as lily flower
And Mary bore sweet Jesus Christ
To be our sweet Saviour
O the rising of the sun
And the running of the deer
The playing of the merry organ
Sweet singing of the choir

You can read all the lyrics and the story behind the carol here.

I wish I was in Britain right now! Happy Christmas, everyone!

2 comments:

AnitaS said...

Lovely Video. I did not wish you were in England but in Holland. I made Scandinavian Xmas cookies today.

Else M Tennessen said...

Mmm, I wish I could be there and have tea and cookies with you, too! :) Thank you, dear friend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails