Sunday, December 01, 2013

Out of the Elf's Workshop....

Calendar I embroidered for my Godmother :)

With my few Thanksgiving days off, I've been busy in the "workshop" (for around this time of year, I don my "Else Elf" persona).

For example, above is a finished and embroidered calendar I'm going to send my Godmother. I bought the printed panel from SeptemberHouse on Etsy, then added my own stitching and finishing. It will be a Christmas gift. :)

For Thanksgiving, I used my new Silhouette Cameo cutter to cut out these tiny paper houses and trees as a gift for my sister-in-law (she hostessed). I put electric tea light candles inside. I really think these are adorable--I'll have to make myself a set!

Houses made with Silhouette Cameo

Finally, while messing around with some fabric hexagons, I came up with the idea of assembling some of them together to make a little wreath. I left the center empty, then hung a faceted bead from the bottom. I think this ornament would look nice on the tree or in a window. Of course, the center could have a hexagon in it, too, maybe with a bit of embroidery?

Here's how I made the hexagon ornament. It is two-sided, by the way.

Hexagon Wreath Ornament Instructions

  1. Make 12 hexagons in fabrics of your choice.
  2. Whip stitch them together, making two flower shapes with the center empty.
  3. Using a ladder stitch and leaving the hexagon paper forms inside, carefully sew the two hexagon flowers together. You'll have to sew the outside edge AND the inner "donut hole."
  4. Using pearl cotton thread, make a hanger at the top, then string a large, faceted bead (or any trinket--why not?) from the bottom. I suppose you could even hang the bead or crystal in the center.
  5. Hang and admire!

Add a fabric bow to the wreath, or embellish any way you choose!

Well, from the workshop, that's it for now, friends! Have fun crafting this December!



1 comment:

AnitaS said...

You made very nice presents. The houses are pretty.

Related Posts with Thumbnails