Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Pond Life

On the pond with Jeremy Fisher

I've been on a Beatrix Potter kick lately. Well, let's say I am on a kick again. I just love Beatrix and feel like we are kindred spirits. Last week I dug out my yarn and crocheted a pond for my new Jeremy Fisher figurine. I love how the lily pads came out; Jeremy is very happy floating and reading! These lovely pond leaves and flowers are from a pattern by the very clever and inspirational June Gilbank of PlanetJune.com.

Currently I am reading The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, a set of eight fictional mysteries starring Miss Potter and placed in the Lake District and her home, Hill Top. These stories are written by Susan Wittig Albert. Ms Albert has captured the spirit of the Lake District, Beatrix, and her talking animals perfectly. I recommend them for a charming and cheering read. Learn more about these books here.

In parallel, I am also reading Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life by Marta McDowell. Don't miss this book! It is chock-full of beautiful photography of the gardens at Hill Top and Castle Cottage (new and vintage photos), descriptions of the flowers Beatrix planted, and stories of her gardens and how the plants were chosen. It's absolutely wonderful and has given me new ideas on what to plant this spring.

Finally, I want to leave you with this video of the Royal Ballet telling the story of Jeremy Fisher. I found this on YouTube yesterday and it's delightful. Watch and enjoy!

1 comment:

AnitaS said...

It looks very lovely. I was just watching the film about Beatrix Potter's Life.

Related Posts with Thumbnails